Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Intro to Fatherhood

It is hard to describe how I feel right now and it will be evident by end of this writeup !!

I was always fascinated by a phenomenon called touch. I still remember the touch of my mother's hand when I am not well. Without a spoken word, the touch communicated all the care and the emotions like an electric pulse running from one individual to the other.
Another feeling of a touch which I can not seem to forget is that of my girlfriend who is now my wife. Touch of her hands used to say what a million words couldn't. When I am feeling low, I rest my head on her lap and she caresses her hand through my hair. The touch makes me forget all my worries, takes me to a higher level of confidence and gives me a feeling that no matter what happens, she is there for me. This feeling of belonging is second to none.

For last few months, my wife was staying with her parents. She was pregnant and needed good care and we relied on her parents to provide that. For those few months, I was like a free bird, watching TV till 3AM, playing sports whenever wished for, doing things just for myself. I knew that things would change after birth of our child but I would have never expected that things would be so different.
Last week, my wife and I were blessed with a baby girl. We have not yet decided a name for her but we keep calling her 'baby'. When I first saw her in the cradle, I did not feel much different. I was very happy that both, my wife and the child are safe and healthy. I stayed at my in-laws place for a couple of days and I saw my daughter growing up older by two days and it changed me completely.
I used to think of myself as a sturdy guy who does not get emotional. But in two days, I do not know what connected me to my daughter that when I was leaving her, I felt like crying. This feeling of going away from something that was mine was new to me. In last two days, I had felt that I was connected emotionally to my daughter through the touch. I loved her so much that at time if you ask me - what is the toughest task, my reply would be - to find anything as beautiful as her. I have still not overcome the sadness that has engrossed my mind and I long to get back to her as soon as possible.

I guess this emotion of missing someone you know for two days and forgetting the rest of the world is what they call 'fatherhood' !!
(P.S. : You must have guessed how difficult it is to describer how I feel right now !)

No comments: